10 Things Your Doctor Doesn’t Want You To Know?
#1) Taking medications, prescription or otherwise, actually shorten your lifespan. • The FDA has warned that psychiatric drugs cause heart attack, stroke, suicidal and homicidal behavior, diabetes, psychosis and sudden death.• In 2006 the FDA announced that they received 51 reports of sudden death from ADHD drugs such as Adderall. • According to a USA Today study of FDA data collected between 2000 and 2004, there were at least 45 child deaths with antipsychotics listed as the “primary suspect.” During this time period, there were also 1,328 reports of bad side effects, some of them life-threatening. Today, however, we’re living in the Dark Ages of medicine. We’re still living in the chemical-based medical society where everybody says that chemicals are the solutions to health problems. “Does your head hurt? You need a chemical. Blood pressure too high? We have a chemical for that, too. Do you feel nervous speaking in front of groups? We have a chemical for that one. Having trouble with your relationships? Chemical. Got a little bit of joint pain? Yup, there’s a chemical for that.” Then they’ll tell you, just in case, “We have chemicals for stuff that you haven’t even experienced yet. We have chemicals that you can take to make sure that you never have pain or heart disease. You should take all these chemicals right now, just in case, and keep taking them for as long as you live.” How’s that for a con? The con of pharmaceutical-based medicine is the biggest con ever perpetrated on the American people. That con has effects in our schools, and unfortunately, some of those side effects are fatal. Also, more than 16,500 deaths a year are caused by over-the-counter pain medications. Non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) kill more than 16,500 people a year by gastrointestinal bleeding. Then the COX-2 inhibitors, which were supposed to be safer than the NSAIDs, came along, and according to studies by chief drug researcher Dr. David Graham at the FDA, they’ve caused more than 144,000 heart attacks, more than 40 percent of which have been fatal. So what are we talking about here? We’re talking about drugs killing more Americans than the entire Vietnam War. We’re talking about it happening every year — twice a year, in fact. You want to talk about a war; this is war on the people, and it’s being waged by the pharmaceutical industry. They’re willing to trade your life for their profits, in my view. They can get away with it because, again, there’s no big event. People are dying separately and quietly, and many of the people who are dying were in their old age anyway, right? They figure no one will blame the drug. #2) There are “all natural” solutions to nearly every medical condition that are safer alternatives, actually improve your health, and are void of ALL of the side effects of traditional medication. Natural Cures And Gentle Medicines are available everywhere, if you know where to look! But, why choose to treat with natural medicine? Because, natural medicine has an 80% cure rate while traditional allopathic medicine has a 25% to 40% cure rate, that’s why.Consider the following facts: The Modern Traditional Westernized Medical World chooses to treat with both prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications that either suppress or shut down a part of the body while trying to induce over stimulation of another part of the body to clear the symptoms presented by a patient. Or they simply mask the problem all together by shutting off electrical impulses in the brain to suppress the symptom never healing the problem! These set the body up for more serious problems such as cancer or autoimmune diseases. In treating a health problem the traditional/pharmaceutical world choose to kill the immune system. This done with the hope that the body can withstand that tactic and you not come in contact with a germ/virus/fungus that will kill while this treatment is taking place. 50% to 60% never survive the immune system killing treatments prescribed in treating cancer and some autoimmune diseases! If the patient is lucky enough to survive that onslaught some or all of the organs never function again as they are suppose to creating more illnessesBut, there are some legitimate, effective, and inexpensive alternatives. Natural Medicine (aka Alternative Medicine) chooses to work the opposite. It works to help the body heal the problem and balance out the whole body to work as it was intended to work. Healing and correcting problems… This can be done with herbs, minerals, vitamins and food!For Instance: A new study published in the June 17 edition of the journal of European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry shows a significant reduction of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) symptoms in children after supplementing with Pycnogenol® (pic-noj-en-all), an antioxidant plant extract from the bark of the French maritime pine tree, everyday for one month. “The results of this study show Pycnogenol may serve as a safe, effective treatment for children diagnosed with ADHD. French maritime pine bark extract reduced hyperactivity among study participants, while improving attention and visual-motor coordination and concentration of these children.Most types of medications used to treat ADHD can be addictive and may have major side effects. Stimulant medications such as Ritalin, Dexedrine and Adderall are the most common treatments for ADHD and side effects often include depression, anxiety and irritability. Pycnogenol was chosen for the study because it continues to scientifically demonstrate health benefits without serious side effects or addictive properties. Published findings have demonstrated Pycnogenol’s beneficial effects in heart, circulatory, skin and cognitive function, among others. Or how about this: The same walnuts that you can find in the baking aisle of just about any grocery store, may be able to boost your mood in a way similar to the famous antidepressant drug Prozac. As is the case with Prozac, walnuts’ potential antidepressant effect pertains to serotonin, the important brain chemical that controls both your moods and your appetite. Like Prozac and other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor drugs (SSRIs), walnuts may influence the human brain’s serotonin levels.That means that you may be able to relieve the disorders commonly treated with antidepressant drugs — insomnia, depression, overeating and other compulsive behavior — without the dangerous side effects. But wait – there’s more: How about “Healing With Whole Foods “? Evidence is emerging that omega-3 fatty acids, such as those present in fatty fish, flaxseed, and walnuts, play a key role in optimal mental activity, which may influence mood and insomnia. Some findings suggest depression may be related to inadequate intake of these healthful fats.
It’s a truth that Big Pharma hates to hear: omega-3 fatty acids prevent mental depression, and they do it without the dangerous side effects of antidepressant drugs. That’s why healthy people avoid ALL prescription drugs and, instead, turn to nature by consuming whole foods, super foods, healthy fish oils, good fats, nutritional supplements and other health-enhancing substances. “Omega-3 fatty acids prevent mental depression without dangerous side effects of antidepressant drugs” And finally a few quick facts: · Walnuts strengthen the blood, overcome debility and tonify the kidneys, liver and brain. They are good for relieving coughs, aiding intestinal smoothness, seminal emission in men, dry and withering skin, white hair, weight loss, forgetfulness, insomnia and neurasthenia.Another study showed that people free of Parkinson’s said as young adults they ate more seeds, nuts and salad oils, rich in vitamin E. Thus, researchers speculate that too little vitamin E foods earlier in life might somehow leave the brain vulnerable to the onset of Parkinson’s years later. There’s even preliminary evidence that massive doses of vitamin E (800 to 3,000 units daily) may slow progression of the disease. More extensive tests of vitamin E therapy for Parkinson’s are ongoing.· Eating lots of fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and grains helps open the door to your storehouse of memories. These foods contain powerful antioxidants, like vitamin C, vitamin E, beta carotene, and selenium. Research shows as the level of antioxidant nutrients in your blood rises, so does your mental function.· Feeling blue? Whether from PMS or menopausal hormonal fluctuations, certain snacks can boost your mood. Bananas, tomatoes, walnuts and carbohydrates, such as bread with jam, help the body raise levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter in the brain that regulates mood. Depending on the severity of your depression, changes in diet may offer some relief and can also work well in conjunction with other remedies, such as antidepressants or therapy #3) You Can Live Healthy and Never Have to be Sick or Unwell! Thanks to the discovery of some new Anti-Aging Prescriptions, you can eliminate most of the common symptoms that would have others running to their Doctors. I’m not just talking about things like a cold, the flu, or headaches. I’m talking about things like insomnia, depression, menopause, and chronic pain.To ease the feelings of insomnia and mild depression that frequently accompany menopause, consume foods high in tryptophan, such as milk, poultry, and nuts. This amino acid is converted into the brain chemical serotonin, which promotes relaxation and rest. Tryptophan may also help reduce feelings of mild depression. Complex carbohydrates, such as beans, potatoes, and grains, may be helpful as well because they are believed to enhance the bioavailability of tryptophan in the brain.
To boost mood, eat some of these tryptophan-specific foods while avoiding other sources of protein. Tryptophan can cause relaxation and even drowsiness in many people when used at night.Try to eat foods high in magnesium content, such as spinach and other dark green leafy vegetables, whole grains, cashews and soybeans. Magnesium relaxes muscles in the walls of blood vessels, including those running to the brain, which may help prevent migrainesPhenylalanine is found in common protein foods, including poultry, meats, soybeans, fish, dairy products, nuts, and seeds, as well as the synthetic sweetener aspartame. Such sources supply the average person with an estimated 500 to 2,000 mg of phenylalanine from diet alone. In the body it is able to cross the blood-brain barrier. It stimulates production in the brain of the natural pain-killing and mood-boosting neurotransmitters dopamine, adrenaline, and noradrenaline. Some studies show a beneficial effect on people with Parkinson’s disease.#4) Cholesterol can be treated with Two Very Simple additions to your diet!You heard right! Before the popularity of routine testing for elevated cholesterol and treating it with statin drugs, there was a very simple solution for this concern. In fact, it is so powerful and inexpensive that anyone can afford it while watching their cholesterol numbers drop.You see, aside from the risks and side-effects of the statins, they are ineffective in dealing with the three faces of cholesterol. Most statins are effective in temporarily lowering one or two of the three damaging lipids, but none addresses all three.Total cholesterol, depressed HDL’s and elevated LDL’s can all be effectively managed if you begin to include two things everyday in your diet.Cholesterol lowering with niacin: Niacin or nicotinic acid, one of the water-soluble B vitamins, improves all lipoproteins when given in doses well above the vitamin requirement. Nicotinic acid lowers the total cholesterol, “bad” LDL-cholesterol, and triglyceride levels, while raising the “good” HDL-cholesterol level. There are two types of nicotinic acid: immediate release and timed release. Most experts recommend starting with the immediate-release form; discuss with your doctor which type is best for you. Nicotinic acid is inexpensive and widely accessible to patients without a prescription but must not be used for cholesterol lowering without the monitoring of a physician because of the potential side effects. (Nicotinamide, another form of the vitamin niacin, does not lower cholesterol levels and should not be used in the place of nicotinic acid.) All patients taking nicotinic acid to lower serum cholesterol should be closely monitored by their doctor to avoid complications from this medication. Self-medication with nicotinic acid should definitely be avoided because of the possibility of missing a serious side effect if not under a doctor’s care. Patients on nicotinic acid are usually started on low daily doses and gradually increased to an average daily dose of 1.5 to 3 grams per day. Nicotinic acid reduces LDL-cholesterol levels by 10 to 20 percent, reduces triglycerides by 20 to 50 percent, and raises HDL-cholesterol by 15 to 35 percent. Nature’s Cholesterol Secret
Over the last 30 years, a change has taken place across North America. In contrast to the fiber-rich fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains once prevalent in our diet, we now consume an overwhelming number (and amount) of processed foods that are low in fiber and filled with refined sugars and harmful trans fats. As a result, we have almost completely stripped our diet of what is quite possibly the most beneficial nutrient on the planet.When regularly eaten as part of a diet low in saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol, soluble fiber has been shown to help lower blood cholesterol. Foods high in soluble fiber include oat bran, oatmeal, beans, peas, rice bran, barley, citrus fruits, strawberries and apple pulp.Insoluble fiber doesn’t seem to help lower blood cholesterol. But it’s an important aid in normal bowel function which helps in the elimination of metabolic waste products, reduces the body’s toxic burden, and minimizes the need for excessive cholesterol production by the liver. Foods high in insoluble fiber include whole-wheat breads, wheat cereals, wheat bran, and cabbage, beets, carrots, Brussels sprouts, turnips, and cauliflower and apple skin.A Major Side-Effect of increasing your fiber intake?Fiber helps you lose weight in many ways:• 35+ grams of fiber per day controls hunger by acting as a natural appetite suppressant as it takes up a large volume in the stomach and has no calories.
• 35+ grams of fiber per day promotes and prolongs the effect of the hormone CCK (cholecystokinin) to make you feel full longer.
• 35+ grams of fiber per day slows the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar (this allows glucose to be used efficiently by the body).
• 35+ grams of fiber per day eliminates calories we have already eaten (for every gram of fiber you eat you can eliminate 7 calories).
• High fiber foods are energy-rich, antioxidant rich, and disease preventing foods. They increase energy and reduce immune system stress. #5) Top 5 Ways to Reduce Your Cancer Risk without drugs.Doing just one of the anticancer steps is better than nothing. But do all of them and you’re cancer risk could drop by as much as 30 percent.
1. Don’t smoke (a no-brainer).
2. Limit red meat, alcohol, fat, and salt.
3. Eat fruit, veggies, and whole grains — lots of them!
4. Exercise regularly.
5. Watch your weightAlthough there is no surefire way to prevent cancer, making healthy choices in your daily life may reduce your risk. If you don’t feel capable of following all the anticancer guidelines, at least choose to do the ones you know you have a good shot of sticking to. You can add a few more later, once you’ve made some progress. Baby steps are fine. And they’re far better than doing nothing.And another thing: Starting an olive oil habit could be as healthful as kicking a smoking habit. And the proof is in your urine. Microscopic substances in your urine reveal how well your body is defending against everyday cancer-causing cell damage. Think of the substances as shrapnel — too much means your body is taking some serious hits. Enter olive oil. In a study, men who upped their intake had less of the damage-signaling shrapnel in their urine samples. How much less? The drop was similar to what smokers experience when they quit. Olive oil is full of good-for-you substances. So which one is responsible for the cancer-fighting effects? Until this recent study, researchers suspected it was the phenolic compounds in the oil; phenols have antioxidant (read anticancer) properties. But the phenolic content of the oils seemed to have little impact in this study. Three different types of oil with varying amounts of phenolic compounds were tested, and the type made little difference in the amount of cell-damage markers found in urine samples. Researchers suspect there is something anticarcinogenic about monounsaturated fat, in and of itself.Which would mean that olive oil, rich in monounsaturated fat, is not only a heart helper but may also deter cancer. That helps explain why, compared to Northern Europeans, Southern Europeans, whose diets tend to overflow with the oil, have lower rates of both heart disease and cancer.
#6) Osteoporosis is preventable and reversible without drugs!Because our skeletons seem like fixed, solid structures, it’s easy to forget that bones are growing, living tissue. In fact, they continually remodel themselves thanks to the efforts of two types of cells–osteoclasts and osteoblasts.These similar-sounding cells each have specific roles:- Osteoblasts: bone building cells that bring minerals into bone tissue–they help build the structure.
- Osteoclasts: cells that release calcium and help break down unwanted bone tissue. In an ideal world, replaced bone–that is, bone tissue that is broken down–would equal absorbed bone. However, there are a few things that influence this process:- Hormones and other body chemicals
- Mechanical stress–weight bearing exercise (walking, jogging, toning weight training) or lack of it. Exercise helps build new bone tissue.
- Calcium, vitamin D, and other vitamin and mineral intake.- Toxic waste accumulated in the body.An imbalance in any of these three can set up your skeleton to start losing bone tissue.In fact, this imbalance is the primary cause of osteoporosis–a continual loss of bone from the matrix that creates our skeletons. Osteoporosis doesn’t announce itself and doesn’t usually get a diagnosis until someone suffers from a fracture.Why Women Seem More Susceptible to Osteoporosis- Women typically have smaller bones
- Women have more direct hormonal influences on bone structure (menopause is a big factor here, with diminishing estrogen levels, etc.)Estrogen promotes healthy, dense bones–in women and men. However, women have a more defined “schedule” concerning estrogen production. Estrogen receptors on bone surfaces, depots in a sense for the hormone, help promote bone maintenance and growth.#7) Menopausal symptoms are not inevitable and do not need to be treated with Hormone Replacement Therapy!Synthetic hormones don’t work as predicted and, worse, they pose a health threat to women. Research has proven this to be true! Now millions of women concerned about aging are looking for alternatives to HRT, and finding them in natural hormones.For many women, regaining hormone balance is a fairly straightforward matter of using some natural progesterone cream. But for others, whatever created the imbalance in the first place needs to be addressed, and still others have such complicating factors as a hysterectomy, endometriosis, or PMS. The three basic questions you need answered before you are on your way to hormone balance are:1. Are my symptoms caused by a hormone imbalance?2. Which hormones do I need to regain hormone balance?3. How do I use the hormones for optimal health and balance?Hormones 101To even talk about hormone balance, there are a few simple concepts that are important to understand.Estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone are the three hormones that are most often out of balance in women. They are made by your ovaries and, in much smaller amounts, by your adrenal glands. These three are also called steroid hormones or sex hormones.Progesterone helps the female body regulate its menstrual cycles; it’s essential for creating and maintaining a pregnancy, it balances the effects of estrogen, and most of your other hormones are made from it.Estrogen is the hormone that makes you female, endowing you with breasts, hips, menstrual periods, soft skin, and a higher-pitched voice.Testosterone is the male hormone, but women also make it in small amounts. In women, testosterone primarily contributes to sex drive and helps build bone.DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is a precursor to testosterone and the estrogens, meaning that those hormones are made from it. DHEA is made primarily in the adrenal glands and is essential for protein building and repair. DHEA levels decline dramatically as we age, making it a primary biomarker of aging.Androgens are male hormones, including testosterone and androstenedione. DHEA is often considered an androgen but converts readily to estrogen in many women.Natural or Bioidentical HormonesHormones are called natural or bioidentical if they are exact duplicates of what your body makes. In other words, the molecular structure of a natural hormone is identical to that of the hormones made by your body. This is an important distinction because the hormones typically handed out by your doctor are not natural; some of them are completely man-made and are found nowhere in nature, and others, notably Premarin, are made from the urine of pregnant mares. Hormones do very complex and specific jobs in the body by fitting into the part of your cells called receptors, much the same way that a key fits into a lock. Once the hormone is in the receptor, it gives the cell instructions. If the molecular structure is different, even by one atom, the instructions given to the cell are different. Hormones that aren’t natural to your body give instructions that can be harmful. Synthetic HormonesSynthetic hormones are not natural to your body. Drug companies purposely make them different from natural hormones so they can be patented. Patented drugs are important to drug company profits because the company that invents them can sell them exclusively for many years, and thus they can charge more for them because there’s no competition. Natural substances cannot be patented and therefore tend to be less expensive. Synthetic hormones are not necessarily made, sold, and prescribed because they work better than natural hormones, but because natural hormones can’t be patented.Progestins are synthetic progesterones, used in birth control pills and conventional HRT. Some examples are Provera (medroxyprogesterone acetate), Aygestin (norethindrone acetate), and Megace (megestrol acetate). Provera is the most commonly used progestin in HRT.Premarin is an estrogen extracted from pregnant-horse urine. While it is made of natural estrogens, most of them are natural to horses, not humans, which means they have different effects on your body than human estrogens. PremPro is the most common form of conventional HRT. It is a combination of Premarin and Provera.Many women write because they want to use natural hormones with the guidance of their doctor, but the doctor doesn’t have the necessary information. How did this experience of menopause come to be? I believe it’s a combination of poor diet, unhealthy lifestyle, environmental pollutants, cultural attitudes, the incorrect use of synthetic hormones, and advertising. So, before you agree to the treatment – make sure you’re informed – because your Doctor may not be! #8) You may not be depressed! You may just be unhappy!Harvard psychologist Dan Gilbert says that you ‘synthesize’ your happiness. That you have a ‘psychological immune system’ that helps you change your views about your world, in order to feel better about the world in which you find yourself.Not only that, he also maintains that when we imagine what could make us happy, such as new clothes or winning the lottery our brains are invariably wrong in advising us that those things will make us happy. In fact, statistics show that paraplegics are just as happy as lottery winners one year after the event of either becoming injured, or winning the lottery!We tend to think that getting things such as a job, a new car, or a trip around the world is what will make us happy. However, studies have shown that we make ourselves happy by simply imagining that we are happy. So getting what we want doesn’t actually have anything to do with being happy. Why is this? Your prefrontal cortex works as an experience simulator, which means you can imagine an experience in your head before you try it out in real life. This ability is essentially what brought humankind out of the trees and into shopping malls – it allows you to desire things and events, imagining they will make you feel a certain way. The problem is that your simulator works rather poorly. In reality, gaining or losing something turns out to have far less impact and duration than you expect them to have. After about three months, the event (or item) has virtually no impact on your happiness…So, your ability to create “synthetic” happiness is in fact your key to sustained happiness. This, by the way, is very real, even though it is not “natural.” Synthetic happiness is a choice you make when you don’t get what you want; whereas natural happiness is what you feel when you do get what you want. However, you often don’t get exactly what you want.Additionally, your belief that being able to change your mind will increase your happiness turns out to be completely false. Your ‘psychological immune system’ actually works best when you’re totally stuck, when there’s no turning back and making other choices, because that is when your mind can find a way to be happy with your reality. This is vitally important, beyond the obvious fact that being happy feels better than being unhappy. In fact, there is little doubt about the powerful effects positive emotions can have on your physical health and well-being. At the same time, there is equally little doubt about the effects that negative emotions can have on you.Happiness will not only protect your body from stressors that can lead to coronary heart disease, but it can even boost your immune system’s ability to fight off the common cold.Unfortunately, “happiness” can be a rather nebulous term. For most people, it is virtually impossible to define what truly makes you happy. So I want to reiterate a definition that nearly everyone can grasp and apply with greater ease.Happiness can more accurately be identified by your brain as “whatever gets you excited.” Happiness is that which makes you jump out of bed in the morning with eager anticipation to start your day. Once you identify that activity, whatever it is, you can start focusing your mind around that so you can structure you life to do more of it.Personally, my happiness is tied to my mission to catalyze the change of the entire fatally flawed health paradigm. This is what makes me somersault out of bed each morning, and it is the driving force that allows me to truly enjoy the many, many hours of my “work” weeks.Being able to manifest positive emotions and happiness is perhaps one of the greatest gifts you have been given as a human being. Sometimes, limiting choices can increase your happiness, because most of us live with the false belief that more choices mean greater chances of finding contentment and happiness. It also resonates with the fundamental rules of optimal health… You don’t need ten pills a day to get healthy. It’s a false belief, manufactured by the pharmaceutical industry through the mass media. In reality, you only need to focus on a few very basic things to optimize your health:· Address emotional traumas · Get optimal sun exposure · Drink pure water · Avoid toxins · Eat the right fats · Eat right for your Nutritional Type · Eat raw foods · Control your insulin and leptin · Exercise · Sleep properlyHealth, like happiness, can be optimized by limiting your options to that which is natural, and realizing there’s no “magic pill.”#9) THE DEADLIEST THREAT TO YOUR HEART is not what you’ve been told!Risk factors for the development of cardiovascular disease may be categorized either by relative significance or modifiability. Current guidelines jointly accepted by the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology are divided into the groups listed immediately below.
This is what your Doctor has been told about heart disease!The Major Independent Risk Factors are: Cigarette smoking
Elevated blood pressure
Elevated serum total (and LDL) cholesterol
Low serum HDL cholesterol
Advancing ageOther Risk Factors include: Predisposing risk factors
Family history of premature coronary heart disease
Conditional risk factors
Elevated serum triglycerides
Small LDL particles
Elevated serum homocysteine
Elevated serum lipoprotein(a)
Prothrombotic factors (e.g., fibrinogen)
Inflammatory markers (e.g., C-reactive protein)BUT WAIT! Are these really causes or effects.The Framingham Heart Study:
Fifty years of data collected from residents of Framingham have produced over 1,000 scientific papers, identified major risk factors associated with heart disease, stroke and other diseases, paved the way for researchers to undertake singular clinical trials based on Framingham findings, created a revolution in preventive medicine, and forever changed the way the medical community and general public view the genesis of disease. But when we pull back the curtain on these results we find TWO THINGS that persist as the underlying cause of all of these perceived risk factors.· Job Satisfaction and· Self-SatisfactionIt appears as though all of the other risk factors arise from these two issues in that they lead to behaviors that produce effects that put us at risk in an attempt to resolve our satisfaction with our jobs and ourselves.Obviously, if these behaviors have progressed to the point of active symptoms, you must seek help and take action. But choose wisely how you proceed to manage the risk factors and the outcome. Relying exclusively on behavior modification without addressing the cause of the behavior may result in less than desirable outcomes.#10) What Doctors won’t tell you about diet and supplements!In the West we’ve cured the old diseases like diphtheria, smallpox and polio and replaced them by modern diseases of cancer, heart failure and diabetes.Most of us are chronically deficient of some nutrient or other. Why? Because our modern diet is far from ideal, and intensive farming has depleted many essential trace elements from the soil, so even the most healthy diet is still lacking in some essential nutrient or other.This chronic shortage takes a long time to show because your body uses up the last of these nutrients before deficiencies start to reveal themselves.In the Western world, medicine is mainly curative, not preventive. This means that we are treated with drugs/chemicals when we become ill. The average doctor takes six years to qualify and usually receives only half a day of teaching in nutrition. But there is a growing awareness that our future lies not in drugs, but in nutrition and dietary supplements. Some foods and drugs are not the answer
Many prescribed drugs–including over-the-counter medications– can create more disease than they cure. How? By increasing depletion of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that have essential roles to play in maintaining or restoring health.And modern diets are no better. Hydrogenated oils that are in just about everything can’t be digested; they are excreted in your stools. But they are the ideal solvent for vitamins, flushing them out of your body rather than allowing you to absorb them. Palm oils, hydrogenated oils, milk proteins, lupin flour, and many other ingredients are used to bulk out manufactured products that are an unnatural diet.Many doctors are unaware of such nutrient depletion because food and pharmaceutical companies don’t tell them.
If you notice any of these symptoms early on, you’re lucky. Until Body Language came along, symptoms often remained hidden–or their causes went undiscovered — until life-threatening consequences appeared. Depleted levels of vital body nutrients also lead to lowered immune system function, in turn causing a host of other maladies. Now you can target your deficiency with the right food.Common Drugs, Common Problems
Aspirin, acid-blockers, and cholesterol-lowering drugs can put you at risk for anemia by depleting the body of iron, the signs of which include weakness and hair loss. If your doctor detects anemia, they may offer iron supplementation yet still not identify your medication as the source of the problem.A lot of drugs also interfere with nutrient absorption or with their metabolism, storage, transport, or use by cells. Because the initial signs of nutritional deficiency are subtle, cells and organs may become prone to disease conditions before the need for supplements (or for changing medications) is recognized. Medications that interfere with calcium absorption, for instance, can lead to osteoporosis.
Antibiotics are a good example because they kill helpful bacteria. Women taking antibiotics consequently develop an overgrowth of Candida, including vaginal yeast infections, and doctors prescribe even more medications to combat the yeast. This cycle can lead to immune system disturbance if overused. Antibiotics also deplete B vitamins that are necessary for hundreds of biological processes, including proper nervous system functioning–suggesting, yes, another array of pharmaceutical interventions.
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is another category of nutrient-depleting drugs. Vitamin C, zinc, and magnesium can be depleted, causing lowered resistance to colds and stress; magnesium depletion also interferes with absorption of calcium. Low levels of vitamin B-6, B-12, and folic acid associated with HRT or oral contraceptives also have a high correlation with elevated homocysteine levels, which result in arterial plaque build-up. When the heart has to work harder to adapt to plaque-narrowed arteries, blood pressure rises.
Medications that lower blood pressure cause escalating problems of their own. Some reduce the levels of coenzyme Q10, a powerful antioxidant that is essential for cell energy and repairing free-radical damage to the heart muscle. Deficiencies can put you at risk for heart disease. Pretty ironic for a cardiovascular medicine!
Blood pressure medications further deplete vitamin B6 (already depleted by estrogen replacement), thereby interfering with neurotransmitters that regulate mood, sleep, and appetite–all disturbances that can cause depression. To treat depression, doctors often prescribe antidepressants that would be unnecessary if the causes of depression were recognized. Some antidepressant drugs also deplete Vitamin B2, and can trigger suicide attempts.
Many medications can contribute to making the body too acidic, a condition in which opportunistic diseases can take hold and in which cancer cells can thrive. The typical Western diet, rich in meat, dairy products, sugar, alcohol, and processed foods, already tends to make the body acidic; medications may compound the problem.
Correcting the Problem
In Europe, one third of cancer sufferers also take alternative medication. Many health problems can be alleviated through methods other than prescription drugs. If you choose to try alternatives, be certain to consult with a health professional before stopping any current prescription medication, and continue to take nutritional supplements to counteract the existing deficiencies.
Filed under: Health & Wellness, Uncategorized | 2 Comments
Tags: acid reflux, blood pressure, cancer, cholesterol, CoQ10, deficiencies, doctors, health, heart disease, hrt, medication, prescription, questions, side-effects